Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Little Known Favorites Meme

I found this on Megan Frampton's blog, so I'm borrowing it because I have no idea what to write about, and I need to finish working on this novella that I have going for the Brava contest.

The Little-Known Favorites Meme Rules:

List and describe three of your favorite books that other people might not be familiar with. Then tag five people. See, easy!


My three books are:



Sharon Kay Penman: Here Be Dragons/Falls the Shadow/The Reckoning


All of Sharon Kay Penman's historical novels are wonderful. This trilogy deals with King John and his daughter Joanna, his son Henry III and his sister who marries Simon de Montfort, and their daughter who marries Llewellyn the last Prince of Wales. Excellent historical fiction. I almost picked her book on Richard III, the Sunne in Splendor which is also incredibly brilliant. If you are one of a Ricardian like me, you'll love Sunne in Splendor.

Freya North: Sally


English chick-lit at it's best. Sally is a school teacher who doesn't want to fall in love, she just wants to have a sexual affair like a character in a Jackie Collins novel but she ends up falling in love with Richard, a sexy architect that she meets at a party. You have to order it from Amazon.co.uk because unfortunately unlike other English novelists like Anna Maxted (also brilliant), Lisa Jewell, and Sophie Kinsella, for some reason her books haven't been published here in the States.



Matthew von Unwerth - Freud's Requiem
This is non-fiction but it reads like fiction. The prose is absolutely beautiful and don't let the fact that it's about Freud, Rainer Maria Rilke and Lou Andreas-Salome stop you from picking it up. He's written an interesting book about what might have taken place one summer between the three of them that led Freud to write his essay On Transience. I actually had to read this twice because I was too busy looking up stuff on Wikipedia. A thought-provoking meditation on grief, mortality, and the soul, through a reading of Freud's argument about creativity with poet Rainer Maria Rilke. He explores Freud's provocative ideas on the connections between creativity and mortality in this elegant literary musing


I am tagging:

Karen Scott - who I know will have a lot of interesting things to say about books!

Kelly Para who's first book just hit the shelves. Go out and pick up a copy of Graffitti Girl!

Mary F, who now has plenty of time now that Grey's Anatomy and Supernatural have had their season finales. What did you think of Burke walking out on Cristina?

Gabrielle who probably has wonderful French and Australian writers to tell us about.

Marianne at Cosmos & Chat.

Thanks, Megan! This was fun!
EKM

3 comments:

MJFredrick said...

Stoopid Burke. I hated that finale!

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

Hey Elizabeth, thanks for the mention of GG and the tag!! :) :)

Karen Scott said...

Hey Elizabeth, I only just noticed that you tagged me! Seeing as it's you, I'll respond as soon as I can get my brain working!