Saturday, May 12, 2007

I Love the '80's

So I was watching the Hugh Grant/Drew Barrymore film this afternoon 'Music and Lyrics' that kind of came and went back in February. Not a great movie, but if you love the '80's, it's pretty awesome in the way that it recreates not just the music but the music videos from back then. I mean look at the picture on the left. That could one of a million '80's pop bands, including Wham! and A-HA.

Remember Andrew Ridgely of Wham!? I didn't think so, not many people did after the band broke up. Everyone knows George Michael. Well Hugh Grant plays an Andrew Ridgely type character in the movie, Alex Fletcher.

I have to admit that I love the '80's. Sure it was a disaster for fashion, although for some reason it's coming back. Think of all the bubble skirts and leggings of the past season. Well, I wore them the first time they were in fashion, and it wasn't an attractive look then. Not to mention the shoulder pads we wore. In fact, you could buy them and attach them to your clothes. Yikes! And the big hair. All you have to do is look at a Paula Abdul video to see the hair and the reason why there is a gigantic hole in the ozone layer.

Actually I was watching the video for 'Cold-hearted snake' on You Tube. Wow, back than that video was cutting edge. Now after Christina Aquilera's dirty video, it just looks quaint. And the see through shirt and the bra. Man, people are still rocking that look almost 20 years later.

VH-1 had this series a few years back called 'Bands Reunited' where they tried to united bands like Berlin (happened) and Squeeze (didn't happen). They also united Haircut 100 and of all people, Kajagoogoo. Never heard of them? Well they had one hit song and then fired the lead singer.

Ah, the 80's. Culture Club, The Thompson Twins, Human League, Depeche Mode who I first heard in 1981 when I spent the summer in London. Duran Duran, the hair bands, power ballads. The cheesy videos that looked like they were made for a buck fifty before Michael Jackson decided to make mini-movies instead of music videos.

I sound like my parents when I say they just don't make them like they used to anymore!

Thanks for reading,

EKM

1 comment:

MJFredrick said...

I'm an 80s girl all the way! Loved the music and the clothes and the movies, though some of the stuff I cringe to look at now - shoulder pads and puffy sleeves, and the pink lipstick!