Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Summer of the Supernatural

Okay, so I was feeling a little bereft now that The Bachelor, Ugly Betty, Grey's Anatomy, Dancing with the Stars, and American Idol are over for the summer. But thanks to BBC America, I now have three shows to occupy my time. Of course, one of those shows is Footballer's Wives, now in its final season with the one and only Joan Collins in the cast.

The other two are Hex and Hyde. I watched a marathon of Hex this past weekend, and I'm definitely hooked although so far there are so many loose ends it's not even funny. For those you don't have cable or BBC America, Hex takes place at a boarding school in the country. Cassie is a misfit who has only one friend, Thelma who is in love with her. Cassie however longs for Troy. Then one day she finds an old vase stuck behind a loose brick and she has sudden flashes of memory, and a newly found talent for telekinesis. Oh, and this fallen angel Azazeal keeps stalking her.

It turns out that she's descended from a long line of witches, and the Medenham Hall where she goes to school is the family estate. I won't go into too much more detail but the show is like Buffy and Charmed put together. The only problem so far is the charater of Cassie, she's so passive for the most part, apart from a few moments where she uses her powers to get back at this guy Leon, who spreads rumors about her and who tries to get it on with her (shades of Carrie).

She has absolutely no curiousity about this family that she's descended from. Not once does she ask questions, or do any research, or even explore her powers fully. She falls for the charms of Azazeal a little too easily. It's her best friend Thelma, who becomes a lesbian ghost, who looks out for her and does all the thinking. And I was a little disappointed that the gorgeous Colin Salmon is wasted as the headmaster. I kept hoping that he was somehow involved, like a Giles was for Buffy as her watcher.

But I'm still watching and I can't wait for the second season to find out who it all turns out.

Thanks for reading,

EKM

1 comment:

MJFredrick said...

you KNOW I got all excited when I read this title! You should give Supernatural a try - it's on Thursdays and Sundays this summer. (But don't watch tonight's - it's the season finale.)