Monday, May 28, 2007

Literary Idol?

So New York Magazine this week has an article on 60 little known novels which is great, (I admit that I've never heard of any of the books on the list and reading the brief summaries, I doubt that I will ever read them. Not when I still have the latest JD Robb to get through).

and also undiscovered talent. It seems they asked several writing teachers to nominate their best students for Literary Idol, and the readers of the magazine are allowed to vote on who would be the best new talent. You can read excerpts from their work on the site.

The kicker? They are all men except for one lone woman, and they all write literary fiction. Which is fine but I find it hard to believe that the couldn't find more than one woman to nominate.

Thanks for reading,

EKM

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Elizabeth--
Just a friendly posting from an NY Mag reporter. Glad you found some grist in our books issue. For our literary idol run-off, we nominated 6 writers total, 2 of whom are women.

All the best,
Katie Charles