Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Giada's Weekend Getaways


Dear Giada,
I love your shows. Everyday Italian has been one of my favorites for awhile, and now you have a new show, Giada's Weekend Getaways, where you explore a different city over a 3 day weekend. One of the reasons that I like your show is that you're the anti-Rachael Ray. Meaning that you're not an over-hyped, over caffeinated host. I've enjoyed the shows so far on Los Angeles, Chicago, and Newport.
However, I have to say that I was totally disappointed in the show that you chose to do about New York. First up, you took a cab to Brooklyn? Let's not mention that a cab to Brooklyn, if you can get one to take you there, is expensive. How about letting your viewers know that it's perfectly safe and better to take the subway?
Then when you get there you choose to visit Jacques Torres, instead of say the Brooklyn Brewery, which would have been awesome. I mean, Brooklyn Brewery is the first brewery to move back to the borough since the seventies. Not to mention visiting Junior's cheesecake. Instead you went to the River Cafe and Grimaldi's pizza. So boring and safe.
Then the next day, instead of showing off one of New York's fantastic brunch places, you went to H&H bagel. And then all you bought at Zabar's was smoked salmon pate? Out of that whole huge store? No Babka, no rugelach, nothing. I can't quibble with your having dinner at the Modern. That looked fantastic, and I thought going to the top of Reockefeller Center instead of the Empire State building was good too.
But come on, you go to Chinatown Brasserie for dim sum instead of going to Chinatown? What an insult. The wealth of good food in this city, and you chose the least interesting places to eat.
Shame on you Giada!
Thanks for reading,
EKM

No comments: