Sunday, May 13, 2007

Happy Mother's Day



Today is Mother's Day which is a bittersweet day for me since my mom is no longer living, but I wanted to celebrate all those Moms out there and to share some memories of my Mom.

One of my favorite stories is the one my mother loved to tell about how she tried to leave the hospital early after giving birth to me to vote. See I was born the day before the Presidential election, and my mother, die-hard Democrat that she was, wanted to make sure that she cast her vote. Oh, and to get a pack of cigarettes. Well, apparently the nurse wasn't too keen on that. See this was back in the olden days when new mother's typically spent a week in the hospital after giving birth, not like today where hospitals kick you out as soon as they cut the umblical chord.

Even though my mother assured her that she was coming back (!), the nurse wouldn't let my mother leave. So my mother had to stay smokeless for another week, and she didn't get to cast her vote.

My other favorite story is how she grabbed Telly Savalas on the street and planted one on him. My mother adored Telly Savalas, go figure. So when he was filming on the street where she worked, she took the opportunity to go outside and tell him what a big fan she was. And grab him by the lapels and give him a big smooch. I don't remember how my dad felt about that. Apparently Telly was so inspired, that he was grabbing women himself and giving them a little of the Savalas magic.

So Happy Mother's Day Mom! I miss you!

Thanks for reading,

EKM

No comments: