Friday, May 30, 2008

The Look for Less

Anyone who knows me, knows that I like to think of myself as something of a fashionista, and not just because I watch Project Runway. Maybe its because I watched so many movies made during the 1930's and the 1940's, but there is a certain way that I like to look. Sort of classy, glamorous, elegant and sexy are words that come to mind when I think of my look.





I just flat out love clothes, although how I came by this interest, considering that I wore a uniform for twelve years, is anyone's guess. My mother had a flair for clothes (she wore a lipstick red Christian Dior suit to the hospital before she had surgery), and I guess that I inherited that.





However, money can be tight, particularly since I buy a lot of research books (not everything can be found at the public library unfortunately), so I have to buy things on sale or look for less expensive options. Fortunately there are stores like Ann Taylor Loft that allow me to look cute for less money. Like this dress which was $34.00. I bought a cute short-sleeved white cardigan from Old Navy for $24.50 to go with it.



I'm also a shoe whore, seriously if I would work for shoes, I would except for that whole having to eat thing. Peep toes, sexy platform shoes that look like they came from the 1940's, thong sandals and cute flip flops. You will never ever see me in a pair of earth shoes or birkenstocks, I don't care how they bedazzle them. They are still fugly (hey's it only my opinion). Now these flip flops are adorable, also from Ann Taylor Loft and relatively inexpensive for $24.00. They are red patent leather, and very comfortable. I wore them last weekend to Megan's warming of the house along with an adorable madras miniskirt (another look for less).

All told, the dress, cardigan and flip-flops cost me less than $100. And I'm stylish and ready to go for a summer weekend in the city!

No comments: