Tuesday, March 21, 2006

How to tame a wild synopsis

Happy Spring everybody! Although you can't really tell in New York because it's still chilly outside. However, I am hopeful that we'll start getting some warm weather soon. I'm a little tired of the whole turtleneck thing. I want to wear my cute spring outfits. Ann Taylor Loft and the mothership, Ann Taylor have some really cute things, on sale no less that I want to get. That is if I ever get paid. The behometh investment bank that I work for pays every two weeks, but I started after the last pay cycle. Meaning that the 3/31 check is for the first two weeks of March, which is weird. I'm hopeful that I get paid for at least a week next week, otherwise I'll be living in a cardboard box since my co-op gets antsy if you take too long to pay your maintenance.

Since Spring is here there are all kinds of distractions, the biggest being TV. Hello, Prison Break is back and I missed it last night because it was on at 8 pm. instead 9. I'm sorry but who's idea was it to put on a show about criminals breaking out of prison during the family hour? Of course, tonight I have to watch my American Idol boyfriend Chris rock the house. Apparently it's 50's week, so we might see a little Elvis or some Jerry Lee Lewis.

Of course, Blow-Out and the Orange Country Housewives are on too. I really need to get Tivo. At least Bravo repeats their shows ad-nauseum, so I'm sure to catch Jonathan and his antics at some point over the weekend.

However, I have a synopsis to get to grips with. At last count, my first draft was 25 pages. Yep, 25. I now have to get that down to 5 pages. Part of the problem is that the synopsis is in 3 different first person POV's, just like the book. I just need to re-read it and eliminate anything that is not essential to telling the story. That's always been the biggest problem for me. I want to include everything but it's just not necessary. I once wrote a 30 page synopsis for a writing class, and by the time I was done, I no longer had any desire to write the book. I felt I had done it in the synopsis!

On the plus side, I did make some discoveries while writing the synopsis that I can incorporate in my next draft!

Anyone have any suggestions, advice?

Help!

2 comments:

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

I'm not the best person to give advice, Elizabeth, but since I just went through drafts of getting one right for my agent I'll try to help. =D And you probably know most of these tips!

I'm not sure who your syn is for, but I needed a 10 pager for editors.

I tried to come up with a compelling first paragraph hook, and introduced three characters that were essential to the plot.

I followed by how the book opened and so forth with paragraphs involving plot points, yes, essential scenes in the book that changed the heroine's journey.

The writing has to be tight. If this is a YA, I would try first POV to let your voice come out. Voice for a long syn is essential to make it read like a mini dramatizing of the book. You want to keep an agent/editor's attention, not lose it. =) The hard part is how much to tell because you don't want to get too specific if the book isn't written yet because your story might change. With each turing point, you want to have a sentence or so that explains what the character is learning from this scene. (this will also help you understand if this needs to be in the syn or not.) For example, is she starting to feel pulled in different directions? Or coming to a realization?

Anyway, good luck!! They are tough!!

Gabrielle said...

I know this isn't going tohelp you right now, but Laurie Campbell does a GREAT online course on how to tackle the synopsis from a Madison Ave perspective. And it's only $25 or so. Really good stuff.