Thursday, March 02, 2006

My American Idol Boyfriend


It happens every year at this time, I choose my American Idol boyfriend. Season one was Justin Guarini. I know, I know, he was a total cheeseball but I fell for it and his curly locks.

Season two was my boy Clay Aiken or as Kathy Griffin likes to call him, Gayken (which is really cruel. Who cares what his sexual orientation is if he's happy?). Season 3 brought my boy George Huff with his adorable smile, and deep sexy voice. Who can forget his performance of an obscure Elton John song that brought the house down? And then last year, Bo Bice. I admit it, in the beginning I was a Constantine Maroulis fan, but Bo slowly won me over, although at times I thought he was a bit lazy with his song choices.

And now Season Five, in walks Chris Daughtry. From the first episode last week of the top 24 when he sang Bon Jovi's, Wanted: Dead or Alive, he owned the stage and my heart. Maybe it's because he reminds me of an old boyfriend, the cowboy from the Outback, or maybe it's just because he's so good.

Either way, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that not only does he make into the top 12, but that he actually wins this thing! It certainly helps that he's from the same state as Clay and Fantasia. Also, that he's the real deal.

However, there are a few factors that could keep him from winning this thing.

1. The theme nights. Every season, the judges make the singers sing songs from different genres, everything from Big Band (Season 1), Broadway, Disco, the year they were born, etc. Bo stumbled last year during the Broadway week. Why no one suggested anything to him from Jesus Christ Superstar, I have no idea. Even Evita would have been preferable to Pippin or Tommy for crying out loud.

2. Complacency. It happens every year. Someone seems like a sure thing, the fans take it for granted they're staying and the next thing you know they're in the bottom two or three and going home. It happened to Tamyra Gray, LaTonya London and what's her name from last year. You have to vote people!

3. Inevitably, someone sneaks into the final 12 who shouldn't be there, because they have a hard luck story or Simon was mean to them, taking the place of someone more deserving. It happened last season when Mikalah Gordon and what's her name, Janene.

So, I'm trying not to get too attached to my boy. But you just may be looking at the next American Idol. My Chris.

1 comment:

MJFredrick said...

I know my American Idol boyfriend will never make it...I like Bucky.