Monday, March 06, 2006

Oscars!

Man, I could kill someone for a loaf of bread right now. I'm serious, a baguette fresh from the oven, with farm fresh butter and maybe some runny brie cheese. My mouth is watering. I haven't had any bread since last Wednesday and it's killing me man. No bread, no sugar, I have dreams of George Clooney dunked in deep dark chocolate.

Speaking of Mr. Clooney wasn't he adorable last night on the Academy Awards. From the opening skit with Jon Stewart to his reaction shot when Stewart that 'Good Night and Good Luck' is what he tells his dates, on to his acceptance speech, he was wonderful. Yes, I know he can sometimes come off as a pompous ass, but he's one of our more intelligent actors, and he makes alot of sense. Plus, his aunt was Rosemary Clooney, and his cousin is Miguel Ferrer. Also, any actor who can go from working on Facts of Life to winning an Oscar is tops in my book. It doesn't hurt that he's still absolutely dreamy.

No real surprises last night, apart from Crash winning Best Picture, which totally screwed me in the Oscar pool. 4 our of 6, instead of 5 out of 6. Okay, it was a long shot for me to also pick Felicity Huffman as Best Actress over the juggernaut that is Reese Witherspoon, but sue me. I mean I love Reese but she reminds me of a chatty Cathy doll who's off button is broken.

Not loving Nicole Kidman as a blonde, but how cool that Keith Urban was her date. I have my fingers crossed for those two. The March of the Penguin guys, you know carrying those giant stuffed penguins with you all the time is getting old. We get it.

I thought Jon Stewart started off rough but got better as the evening went on. I didn't get to see the entire ceremony because I actually had to work last night. I thought I was going to be a floater, but someone didn't show up so I ended up having to watch a Lifetime TV movie called Sex and the Girl. Don't ask! I did tape it however, and I watched it when I got home.

Loved the Ben Stiller bit, and the Cowboy movie montage. But my favorite was the fake TV ad campaigns for Best Actress. Acting while Beautiful, and the Dame Judi Dench one. What was up with Jamie Foxx calling Charlize Theron, South African-American? Trying to be funny? Not! And I loved Rachel Weisz taking Morgan Freeman's hand as they walked off stage together after he gave out the award for Best Supporting Actress. I thought that was so sweet. Maybe they'll work together. I'm sure she'll be happy never to be introduced as the actress from Mummy and Mummy Returns again!

What did other people think?

1 comment:

Michele said...

Hi, Elizabeth. Can you e-mail me?

michele (dot) melendez (at) newhouse (dot) com?

I'd like to ask you about your March 1 post. Thanks!