Monday, April 10, 2006

New York, New York

Well, I'm back from NEC in one piece. Had a great time getting to see old friends, making new friends, bonding with my RWA NYC chapter friends, and oh, yeah pitching. Yes, I pitched to two agents who will not be named in this blog, and I have to send a partial of Crazy Little Thing Called Love, and my latest insane idea called The Best Christmas Pageant Ever! Yikes! I'm excited but gut wrenchingly nervous about sending out my babies into the cruel, wide world.

I also had a crush on Bob Mayer, the co-author with Jennifer Crusie of Don't Look Down until he a) ruined A History of Violence for me before I'd seen it, and b) revealed on the Don't Look Down blog that he's in a significant relationship. Damn it! Foiled again! I also bought books (of course), and a won some books as well. Who knew my birthday was the day after National Literacy Day?

I also had a potential disaster. My good friend Marley accidentally stepped on my glasses, but here is the fabolous part. She went out and replaced my glasses, even though it was partly my fault for being careless and not putting my glasses back in their case. Isn't that the sweetest thing ever? I'm totally buying multi-copies of her books when they come out in 2008. And I also have a special surprise for her to say thank you. Shh! It's a secret!

One of the things I love about conferences, is staying in a hotel. Having some else make my bed, clean the tub is one of the perks. And I have to say the Crowne Plaza in Natick was a lovely hotel. My room was huge, and they give you lavender spray for the bed, ear plugs, eye mask, and a Sleep CD. I tried to take the CD player but I couldn't fit in it my bag! LOL!

Oh, and I went to workshops when I wasn't drinking in the bar. Truthfully conferences for me are now about meeting up with friends, pitching, and less about the actual craft of writing, although there was a great workshop on Writing the YA novel, and also Jenny Crusie's workshops.

Now it's back to the grindstone!

1 comment:

Gabrielle said...

Good luck on the partial, and congrats for getting those queries out the door!!