Saturday, April 22, 2006

Raindrops keep falling on my head

It's been raining cats and dogs today. Has anyone wondered what the origin of that phrase is? Can you imagine actual cats and dogs falling from the sky? It's just weird. Anyway, it's been nasty and filthy all day, the type of day where you just want to curl up at home, under the covers, with a cup of tea and a good book. I've been pretending that I'm in London all day to make it more palatable.

Despite the fact that it was pouring, I ventured out today to go see a mutual friend perform her cabaret act. It was actually a cabaret brunch which was so cool. Nothing like drinking mimosas and having a delicious omelet and then seeing someone perform. And Cynthia Crane (the performer) is divine.

I envy singers. I think that's why I watch American Idol. Despite the fact that I have a modicum of talent singing (apparently I have a 3 1/2 octave range and one of my voice teachers thought I had the makings of a coloratura soprano), singing in public has always frightened me. I would love to be able to stand up in front of a group of people and sing my heart out. That's a fear I'm hoping to face at some point in my life, but for right now, I have nothing but respect for anyone who picks up a mike whether it's at a kareoke night or at an audition.

And Cynthia is fantastic. The reason being, she understands what she's singing. She has an uncanny ability to not just sing the song, but also to act them out. That's the biggest problem I have with American Idol with some of the younger singers, they don't have a clue. There's no way that an ingenue like Kellie Pickler has the life experience to really sing a song like Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered from Pal Joey.

It's the same principle with writing. If you don't believe what you're writing, body mind and soul it's just going to sit there on the page. You have to pour your blood sweat and tears into your writing just the way you do with a song.

God, I'm being really deep today.

Thanks for taking the journey with me.

EKM

If you can't connect with the lyrics, why are you singing the song?

No comments: