Saturday, April 01, 2006

Single in the City - Frustrations Abound

It's no secret that I'm single and I don't want to be. The problem right now is finding the time to pursue a relationship when I have 3 jobs, well actually 4 if you include writing. They say that you find the time for the things that are important in your life, and the things that are not, fall by the wayside. Well, for the past 2 years, finding a relationship has taken a back seat.

By now that I'm reaching a certain age, I'm more interested in finding someone. But it can be really frustrating in New York City.

Case in point: recently I found this web-site called 8 at 8 which is a singles dining club. 4 men and 4 women have dinner at one of New York's hundreds of great restaurants. Sounds cool right. Much easier than having to troll Match.com or PerfectMatch.com which is a full-time job in itself. So I sent in an application, indicating that I was 41. I get an email on Tuesday telling me that instead of taking my money, they wanted to let me know that there weren't that many men in their forties who join.

Well, fine, but what makes them think that I'm interested in meeting men who are forty or older? Frankly I would much prefer to find a younger man at this point in my life! I felt kind of discriminated against if you want to know the truth. I probably have more in common with men in their early to mid-thirties than I would with a guy who is my age or older, divorced with kids, probably settled in his ways, maybe not even looking to have more kids.

I was so pissed off that I fired off a letter to 8 at 8 letting them know just what I thought of them!

So it's back to looking for other interesting ways of meeting men in NY that doesn't include hanging out in bars. At this point I'm seriously considering putting my picture on JDate or doing that Just Lunch that keeps advertising in New York magazine.

No comments: