Tuesday, May 09, 2006

The High Cost of Dating

As anyone knows who reads this blog or my profile, I'm single and ready to settle down if I can jsut find the right person. I recently signed up with JDate (yes, I know I'm not Jewish, but most of the men I've dated have been Jewish. Or Catholic. I'm not sure what that's about). I figured I have shiksappeal, I might as well work it. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that it costs $39.95 a month. That's one dinner out, or four movies, not to mention my cable bill. It made me sit down and start to calculate how much it costs to get a date in the modern age.

One month on-line personals $29.95 - $39.95 (Most people I know use more than one) - $60-80 a month

Photography (instead of just having your best friend take your picture for your personal) $75-$300

Speed dating events - 2 x $29.95

Weekend at Club Getaway (slumber camp for adults) - $350.00

Membership in Social Circles - $900 for one year, plus $10 a month charges

Attending a benefit in the hopes of meeting someone - $75 - $3,000 (Candace Bushnell met her husband at the NYCB benefit. Her ticket cost $3,000 but hey she's married)

Clothing to wear on dates - $350 - $500

Bikini Waxing (just in case you get lucky) - $40.00

Eyebrow, manicure, pedicure - $40.00

Therapy (to talk about why your dating isn't going well) $85 a session

Make-up - $150

Drinks with friends in hopes of meeting guys - $60.00

Astrology reading (to find out if you're going to meet someone finally) $150.00

Just to be on line for six months can cost you anywhere from $180 a month to $240. Not to mention that trolling on-line dating sites is a full-time job in and of itself. All told, a single woman in New York can spend upwards of $3,000 a year, and that's before she even gets a date. Then comes the whole issue of do you go dutch or does he pay for dinner. You date a lot of guys who want to split the check, that can cost you another $3,000. Of course you can tell yourself that you would have spent that money anyway eating alone.

If you can take out a home improvement loan, why can't you take out a loan for dating? It stands to reason, that if the bank will pay for upkeep on your home or apartment, they should pay for the upkeep on your person, particularly in New York, where women outnumber men. Frankly, I'm too old to move to Alaska, hoping to find a man. And I don't ski, so that lets out going out to somewhere like Colorado, plus I'm too much of a city girl. And anyway that costs money.

I completely understand now why women go on The Bachelor. At least they're paying you while you're trying to meet someone, instead of the other way around.

Thanks for stopping by!

EKM

No comments: