Friday, July 07, 2006

Author Crushes

I have been very bad this week, what with the holiday being in the middle of the week and all. Not one word on my current YA has been written, the only writing I've done is on the blog, which is bad. However, I don't intend to beat myself up over it. Starting Monday, it will be a clean slate, and (hopefully), I hope to produce at least 40 pages next week, but don't hold me to it.

So I thought I'd write about author crushes. You know, those writers that you can't help but stalk when you see them at a conference, hoping to talk to them, yet at the same time frightened that they will actually respond.

Jennifer Crusie: Okay this was an easy one. I've had an author crush ever since I picked up my first Jennifer Crusie book. I'd heard about her, but I didn't expect to love her writing so much or to find out that she was so funny, and refreshingly honest.

Meg Cabot - My sister from another mother. I love, love her Princess Diary books but also her Mediator books as well. Not many authors can write an entire novel in emails and make it work, but Meg can. Plus she drinks TAB and worries about celebrities almost as much as I do.

Christopher Golden - The only male author my list (so far). I first discovered Christopher Golden because of Buffy. He wrote several Buffy novels that I absolutely adored. And then I discovered his Jenna Blake series. Jenna Blake is a freshman at Someset University in MA who works as an assistant to the Chief Medical Examiner for the Country. Not only does she have a flirtation with a hot cop, but all the mysteries have some sort of either paranormal or really neat twist to them. Now he's writing a series of books called Ghosts of Albion with Amber Benson who played Tara on Buffy.

Eileen Rendahl - I met Eileen at the RWA Conference in New York. She was a complete doll and I couldn't wait to read her first book, Do Me, Do My Roots. It was so fantastic that I recommended it to all my friends. Since then I've enjoyed reading her second and third books, as well as getting to know her at various conferences.

Lani Diane Rich - I hate this bitch, she's such a good writer. It's why she won the RITA last year. No actually, I don't hate her. I just want to be her, but with my wardrobe.

Michelle Cunnah - what a sweetheart, and her writing is just as wonderful. Whenever I read Michelle's books, I can hear her voice in my head, almost narrating the story.

Nora Roberts - Okay, while I wrote this blog, Nora Roberts just wrote another book. This woman is so prolific, I can't stand it. I could spend the rest of my life just reading Nora Roberts books, she's written so damn many. In fact, I have to pick and choose the ones I read, because I just can't read them all. I'm sorry Nora, but I have to make room for all the other fabulous writers out there including Marley Gibson, who's books I plan on reading as soon as they come out in 2008. People say that Nora has a team of people living in her basement who write the books for her, but having heard her speak, I'm inclined to believe, she writes them all, and she's just too damn good, that's why people don't believe it's all her.

Well, that's just a few of my author crushes. What authors are you crushing on? Let me know.

Thanks for reading!
EKM

5 comments:

MJFredrick said...

Nora, definitely. At my first conference in New Orleans, all I wanted was to meet her. I did, at the lit signing, had my picture taken with her. We look like sisters! But anyway....

Suzanne Brockmann. She's just awesome and so energetic!

I love Jennifer Crusie, too, but she intimidates the hell out of me!

This year, Erin McCarthy. I just finished The Pregnancy Test and she is a goddess.

Catherine Mann and Virginia Kantra.

And I may stalk Eileen, too. I met her in NYC as well, and like you, I LOVED Do Me, Do My Roots and recommeneded it to everyone. She may need to know this ;)

Gabrielle said...

Earl Emerson. Definitely. Then Barbara Samuel, Caleb Carr and Marsha Moyer. They're all fabulous in their own ways.

Elizabeth Byler Younts said...

Nicholas Sparks & Tracey Chevalier...though I haven't met them at any conferences I did meet Nic Sparks at 2 book signings. He's about as real as they come...

Elizabeth Kerri Mahon said...

Mary, I love Suzanne Brockmann too. Although I haven't read her most recent books, because I got kind of Navy Sealed out. Elizabeth, I have not yet ready any Nicholas Sparks, although I have seen the movies made from his books, and I have read Tracey Chevalier.

Gabrielle, I do love Caleb Carr. The Alienist is one of my favorite books.

Marley Gibson said...

Awwww....t'anks, sweetie!!!! You're such a wonderful cheerleader! Most appreciated...especially as these deadlines loom.

Hugs!
Marley = )