Thursday, July 06, 2006

The Devil Wears Prada - Movie Review


So I went to see The Devil Wears Prada after work last night with a good friend (I even sneaked out of work early to go see it. Shhh!). What a fun, fun movie. I have to confess I did not like the book at all. I thought that Andy was whiny, and self-indulgent and I thought that Miranda was the only interesting character in the book.

Thank god that has changed. There are now 3 interesting characters in the movie, Miranda Priestly (played by the incomparable Meryl Streep who should have a statue made of her so that we can all worship at her shrine), Emily the first assistant (played by Emily Blunt who was fabulous) and Anthony played by Stanley Tucci.

Anne Hathaway was good as Andy but I had the same problem with the character that I did in the book. I still don't know why she continues to work for Miranda. I have a thought about why she does, but I would have liked Andy at some point to articulate to her friends what she's getting out of the experience.

My personal opinion is that Miranda is like that teacher in school who was notorious for never giving anyone above a B no matter how good there work is, so that you become desperate to be that one person to impress her and get that A. It's the challenge. Unfortunately that's never articulated in the movie (or in the book). I'm also at a loss as to why everyone gets so pissed off at her, and she never seems to have a reaction or to get angry. It's as if because she works in fashion, everyone (including her) takes her job less seriously. If Andy were working in a law firm as an associate and had to work 80 hours a week, none of her friends would have had a problem with that, it's expected.

I also thought hot writer guy Christian remained just as undeveloped in the movie as he did in the book. He just seems to represent just another user in the corporate world, and why was Andy so surprised after working for Miranda that there are other people out there like that?

Okay, the clothes were divine. Andy had two black dresses that were to die for. Meryl Streep as Miranda Priestly? What can one say about Meryl Streep that hasn't already been said? Her performance as Miranda was just amazing. She never once raised her voice which made it all the more effective and devastating than if she had just yelled at Andy or Emily. I loved the fact that the movie allowed her a few brief moments to have a vulnerability so that you could see the person behind the mask.

You don't have to be a fashionista to enjoy this movie. Let's face it, everyone at some point has had a facist boss. What is it that Lord Powell said? "Power corrupts and absolute Power corrupts absolutely?" Well that's The Devil Wears Prada in a nutsell.

All in all, a really good movie.

Thanks for reading!

EKM

No comments: