Monday, June 25, 2007

Favorite Books from Childhood - The Diamond in the Window


Have you ever read a book that stayed with you years after you read it? The Diamond in the Window by Jane Langton is one of those books for me. It was one of the first slightly paranormal books that I remember reading. In fact the book stayed with me long after I forgot the title. Il oved this book so much that I remember reading it over and over again. I never wanted it to end.
Recently I read an article in The New York Times about Concord, MA and the number of writers over the years that have made the town home. The article mentioned that Gregory McGuire (Wicked) read The Diamond in the Window as a child and was so entranced that he wrote Jane Langton, the author, a fan letter. She told him to write fantasty books for children when he grew up, which he did. So I'm not the only one who was entranced by this book.


Here is the blurb from the back cover:


"A very unusual house... Eddy and Eleanor Hall have always known that their family was a bit out of the ordinary. After all, they live in one of the most remarkable houses in all of Concord. But they never guessed just how extraordinary their house really is, or what tremendous secrets about their family's past it holds. That is, until they discover the magical attic room with its beautiful stained-glass window, abandoned toys, and two perfectly made-up, empty beds that seem to be waiting perhaps for two children just like themselves...."


Doesn't that just grab you? From this book, I learned all about Emerson and Thoreau, transcendentalism, and how houses can be magical. If you've read the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, you will love this book, although it's not quite as fantastical. Instead, it's more of a time travel novel or parallel worlds.


I'm surprised that no one has ever tried to make a movie about this book. Although that might be a good thing. Jane Langton has written several books in the series. I've only read one other in the series but I'm eager to read all of them now. She's also written a series of historical mystery novels that seem intriguing which will probably go into the pile of books that are teetering on the floor near my bed, and on the bench in my bedroom.
Thanks for reading!
EKM


No comments: