Wednesday, June 20, 2007

A Taste of Pinkberry


So after reading about Pinkberry in various magazines, how people are lining up in LA like crack whores waiting for a fix, I decided I had to try it for myself. Normally, I'm suspicious of anything that's too popular. When Jamba Juice came to New York, I was all like "I've already had that in LA." Who knew that those things would multiply like rabbits here in New York?


Last night, after dancing the samba for an hour in my dance class (I now know why Brazilians wear so few clothes when they do this dance. Seriously Gisele could put out a Samba workout tape and make even more millions than she did with Victoria's Secret), I decided to take myself around the corner on 32nd Street to Little Korea to the Pinkberry store.


If you don't know about Pinkberry for some reason, the company was founded by a young Korean woman named Shelly Hwang in LA about two years ago, and now they've expanded into New York, opening two stores so far and planning on opening even more in the next few years. They've even spawned imitators that's how successful Pinkberry has become. Get this, she initially had planned on opening an English Tea Room, but after crunching some numbers and having problems getting licenses for liquor and outdoor seating, she decided on frozen yogurt instead.


Unlike Tasti-Delite or Crema-Lite, Pinkberry only has two flavors, original and green tea. And the decor of the shop is very mod and the place is small. The walls are painted a pale green and the tables and chairs are white. I got there last night at about 7:40 at there was a huge line. Normally I hate waiting on line, but I decided to suck it up in order to do this review. Oh, and it was hotter than Hades inside. I guess they forgot a simple thing like air conditioning or it was on the fritz.

After about seven minutes, I placed my order for a 5 oz original with strawberries and bananas. Then I waited another couple of minutes for my order. FYI to the manager of the 32nd Street store, your people need to move a lot quicker when they serve. I'm telling you the way they were piling up the fruit on the yogurt, you would have thought they were creating art. Oh, and you can get other toppings besides fresh fruit. They also have toppings like Cocoa Pebbles and Capt'n Crunch.

So is it any good? Um yeah. At first I was like "I think this is sour" but then I realized oh it tastes like actual yogurt as opposed to the chemically induced version that you normally get when you buy frozen yogurt. Before I knew it, I had eaten the whole thing. Was it worth it? Um yeah. I don't think I'd go back to the 32nd Street store, I might try the one downtown on 8th Street.
Anyone else tried Pinkberry?
EKM

2 comments:

MJFredrick said...

I've never heard of it. I imagine it'll be awhile before it comes to South Texas!

Elizabeth Kerri Mahon said...

Don't be so sure Mary. I think they are intent on world domination!