Thursday, June 07, 2007

Random Thoughts

So yesterday was the anniversary of D-Day. I just want to give a shout-out to all the veterans who are still around who were on Omaha Beach. My dad fought in WWII, along with my uncle, although he was in the navy while my dad was in the army. My dad landed in the invasion of southern France, was in the Battle of the Bulge, and then got sent to Okinawa before the war ended. He never wanted to talk to me about the war, although being a total history geek, I wanted to know everything.

Now that I've read alot, and see movies like A Solider's Story, I can see why he didn't want to tell me about what it was like back when the armed forces were still segregated. It must have been really tough on him having to spend time down south while he was in training. My dad grew up in New York, where while things weren't great, they were certainly better than they were down south. He went to one of the best public schools, and had just gotten a civil service job at the post office when he was drafted, and my grandparents had just bought a town house in Hamilton Heights.

So it must have been serious culture shock for him when he arrived in Louisiana, between segregation and having to understand Cajun French, France must have been a relief in a way. He was finally doing what he had spent 2 years training to do.

I've always been proud that my dad and my uncle were veterans. So even though it's past Memorial Day and past D-Day, I salute both of them and the men they served with.

Thanks for reading,

EKM

No comments: