Monday, April 21, 2008

Movie Madness

Even though the weather was gorgeous this weekend, I spent most of it in the library, doing research for my WIP, and also editing said WIP (I need to cut 4 pages out of the chapter from hell since it now is 15 pages and I still haven't finished it yet). But I still found time to watch 3 movies that I took out of the library.

Movie #1 was Miss Potter, about Beatrix Potter and her relationship with Henry Warne. I really wanted to enjoy this movie, but I couldn't get over Renee Zwellweger and her Bridget Jones accent. I know its mean of me, but I just couldn't imagine her sitting down and creating Peter Rabbit and the cutesy moments when the drawings came to life just didn't do it for me.

Movie #2 was Pirates of the Carribbean, something about the World's End, which came out last summer. This thing was almost 3 hours long and it bored me silly. I had no idea what was going on half the time and I didn't really care. Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow wore thin about the middle of the second movie. In this sequel there were way too many of him, and I didn't get the ending, although it appeared that they were setting it up for Pirates of the Carribbean 4, God forbid. Seriously, none of the actors can need the money that much that they would agree to a 4th movie.

Movie #3 was Shoot'Em Up, which is worth it only if you are a serious Clive Owen fan or you like excessive violence. I hated this movie with a passion and I love Clive Owen. I would fight Megan for Clive Owen, if he came to New York and said he had divorced his wife. This movie, meh. Although it was amusing to see Paul Giametti as a hitman, who has a crew of men who couldn't hit the side of a barn, let alone Clive Owen since at no time did any of them seriously hit him, despite the hail of bullets that they let fly. Interesting love scene though. And why was Monica Belluci in this film? Seriously, stay in Europe, honey where they know what to do with you.

So, 3 movies, 3 not very good experiences. The best part of my weekend was discovering my new guilty pleasure, Viva Hollywood on Vh-1, which is hysterical. 12 Latino actors in a house competing to see who will be the next telenovela star for Telemundo. I love this show from the contestants to the bad scripts to the weird astrologer guy Walter Mercado who looks kinda like a man/woman (see Bobby Trendy) to the 7 Deadly Sins of Telenovelas. Plus it stars Maria Conchita Alonso and Charo shows up in an episode.

Thanks for reading,

EKM

No comments: