Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Would You Eat In This Restaurant?

Thanks to my friend Maria for sending me the link to this little adventure. It's called Dinner in the Sky. And for $11, 444 for eight hours, this adventure can be yours!




Dinner in the Sky: A chef prepares meals while diners enjoy panoramic views harnessed in seats that swivel 180 degrees, suspended via a crane.



Dubbed Dinner in the Sky, the attraction is making its U.S. debut in Orlando at the annual International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions convention. About 25,000 attendees are expected at the one-stop-shopping event, where the amusement industry rolls out new thrill rides and related products.


The high-flying dining venue was introduced in Europe last year and consists of a platform suspended from a crane. Guests are harnessed into 22 seats, with space in the center for a chef and two helpers. With local officials' blessings, the platform can be transported to just about anywhere the crane can maneuver. One recent spot: in front of the Amiens Cathedral in France, with dinner prepared by a three-star Michelin chef.



'It was like eating with the 12 apostles and Jesus Christ,' quips David Ghysels, co-founder of the Belgium-based company. Ghysels sees all sorts of U.S. possibilities for the dangling restaurant, including air space over the Grand Canyon, Niagara Falls and golf courses. 'I think human beings always like to see what's happening from the air,' he says. 'And there are so many wonderful natural spots in the U.S. Dinner in the Sky could go anywhere.'



Are they crazy? Who would spend that kind of money to eat hanging off a crane except for crazy, rich people? Seriously, it was all I could do to drink champagne while on the London Eye last year. In fact, thank god I had the champagne, and the London Eye is basically a giant ferris wheel.



Considering how many people have died recently in New York in construction accidents I can't see it coming here. Oh, what am I saying I'm sure it will come here, probably downtown in Battery Park and Trump will be one of the first people to have dinner.

2 comments:

Kwana said...

There is not one thing I could eat up there. what could I hold down? Ugh!

Elizabeth Kerri Mahon said...

I hate flying, and there is no way I could be comfortable eating like that. However, I would love to see the Real Housewives of New York City having a dinner party up there. How would Ramona manage to walk out of that?