Sunday, August 20, 2006

Chi-Town

Well, I flew back from Chicago this morning and boy are my arms tired! Yes, I know a bad joke but I really am tired. My flight this morning was at 7:10 a.m. and we actually arrived back in New York, a half an hour early. Yeah, Air-Tran! Yesterday we also arrived early in Chicago, and they didn't lose my luggage, meaning they automatically go to the top of my list of airlines (take that Continental). All that and my flight was only $89 each way, and I could upgraded to Business class for only $35 if I'd wanted too. I wish I had since I found it really hard to sleep with the little kids sitting behind me kicking my seat.

So Chicago was awesome. I could totally see living there. I took the EL into town, and then walked to my hotel on East Wacker Drive. Holy cannoli, there was the Tribune building and the Chicago River. Cool beans. It looked exactly like that movie that Rob Lowe and Demi Moore were in, where they played two impossibly beautiful people who fall in love and have incredible sex in the bathtub, still being aware enough at the climax to pour water on themselves. Do you know anyone who has ever done that?

My hotel, the Hyatt Regency was probably the biggest hotel I have ever seen in my life. Seriously, this place is like 2 city blocks long. Even the Adams Mark in Dallas wasn't as big as the Hyatt Regency. I was staying in the East Tower, and my room was lovely. A King Bed, plus a couch and a lovely armchair. I only wish I'd had more of a chance to enjoy it. I love hotels, primarily because I don't have to make the bed, nor clean the bathroom.

I immediately headed out to Marshall Field's/Macy's. FYI, Marshall Field is like the most famous department store in the Midwest. Founded in the 19th century by Marshall Field, the flagship store has been open since 1907. It's famous for it's Oak Room and Frango mints, among other things. Recently however, Federated Department stores, which owns Macy's bought the Marshall Field's parent company, and decided to turn all the Robinson-May and Marshall Field stores into Macy's including the flagship store on State Street in Chicago.

Personally, I think that's a mistake. Marshall Field was a huge tourist attraction. The good news is the building is landmarked so they don't can't remove the Marshall Field plaques outside or the famous clock, although of course all the windows can say Macy's. I bought several boxes of Frango mints to give as gifts.

Leaving the store, I headed for the Art Institute. I had planned on going to the Field Museum to see the King Tut exhibit, but I didn't want to rush through it, particularly since it cost like $31 to get in, so I went to the Art Institute instead to look at the pretty paintings, incuding Seurat's painting that inspired Sondheim to write 'Sunday in the Park with George'. My favorite artists are the impressionists, so I luxuriated in all the Renoirs and Degas. Although I did go visit American Gothic.

I made it back to the hotel in time to get changed, and then realized two things, I forgot the new evening bag I'd bought back home, and I couldn't remember the name of the church. I improvised by using my pink make-up bag that I'd gotten as a free gift with purchase from Laura Mercier, and the concierge found the church by looking up the details on The Knot. I just made it to the church before the ceremony.

MFM looked just stunning, and the wedding itself was absolutely lovely. From where I was sitting I could see her glow as she looked at her groom. I'm so happy for her, but incredibly sad for myself (see how all roads inevitably lead back to me!). I miss being in love and being in a relationship. Seeing how happy the two of them are, it just made me long for that kind of love all the more.

The reception was held at the Botanic Gardens, and we had a bit of a to do trying to get there. Our bus was having problems with the shock absorbers, so the driver made fifteen people switch to the other bus, to lighten the load. Traffic was slow and we were driving for so long I began to wonder if we were still in the state. Then he took the wrong exit and we ended up on our way to Milwaukee before he finally managed to turn around and get us to the reception. It took us 1 1/2 hours to get there. I really needed a drink!

There weren't many single men, and frankly the wind ruined my hair so that I looked like Monica on Friends when they were in the Carribean, and the humidity made her hair explode. Lovely! I felt a little weird, because I seemed to be the only one there who knew MFM when she went by her first name apart from her family. There were people there who didn't know she'd been an actress. I met some lovely people, but I also felt a bit lonely because everyone knew everyone else, like really well.

Still I had an amazing time, and now I have a new pair of flip-flops. MFM and her groom provided flip-flops as a wedding favor. So here I sit in my new flip-flops writing this blog.

Congratulations to MFM and JSK!

Thanks for reading.

EKM

1 comment:

brunettechicagogal said...

Chicago is the BEST city. I should know; I lived there from '92-'05. You saw only the tip of the iceberg when you were there. Next time you go, be sure to check out the neighborhoods, especially Wicker Park/Bucktown, Wrigleville/Southport Corridor, Roscoe Village, Lincoln Park and Lake View. And get to Wrigley Field!