Monday, January 16, 2006

A Cautionary Tale

So I'm watching Grey's Anatomy last night, my favorite show of all time, (can't believe Meredith and Dr. McDreamy aren't back together and isn't George a cutie?) and one of the plots hit home to me as a writer. A man is brought into the hospital with a blocked intestine, because he ATE his novel. Yes, after many years of rejection, he decided to eat his novel.

Now, I've done some crazy things with my novel, but eating it never occured to me. Shredding it, papering my walls with the rejection letters, making paper airplanes, putting in the recyle bin or using the paper on the other side, but eating it? Never.

Not only did this guy end up with a blocked intestine, but he also ended up with mercury poisoning. Just because he was fed up with all the pain and frustration of being an unpublished writer.

Ouch!

So the moral of the story is don't eat your novel, no matter how bad a day you have. It's not worth it. If you really believe in your talent, you'll find a way, even if it mean's taking matters into your own hands and self-publishing.

2 comments:

Kristen Painter said...

I adore George. Adore. McDreamy's hot but has way too much baggage.

MJFredrick said...

Great moral, LOL! I haven't gotten hooked on THAT show yet.