Monday, January 30, 2006

The SAG Awards, James Frey and more


So last night I work I watched the first two hours of the SAG awards, before hopping over to my favorite show of all time, Grey's Anatomy. Yes, I get paid to watch television even if I don't write about it! I was a floater last night, after I checked my one repeat. Probably a reward for having to watch Road to Perdition for 3 hours. Thank god, the computer was right next to the television, so I could throw in my questions during the commercial breaks.

Now on to the SAG awards. Sigh! After the Golden Globes, and all the other critics awards, there are no surprises. Does anyone really think that Philip Seymour Hoffmann won't win the Academy Award for Capote (by the way, it's a very good movie)? The only question is whether or not he's going to show up in a tux instead of the same suit he's been wearing to all the awards shows.

And what's up with Paul Giamatti? Can't you afford a tie? I know you're all 'I'm a indie character actor who was robbed of an Academy Award nomination for Sideways' but is it necessary to show up at these things looking like you pulled your clothes up off the floor that morning?

Amazing how many ladies almost tripped on their gowns last night. Wasn't it cute when Eva Longoria sat on Marcia Cross' lap? And wasn't Nicolette Sheridan engaged like five minutes ago and she's already back with Michael Bolton?

Aww, wasn't it cute when S. Epatha Merkeson kissed Ben Bratt and called him her baby brother. Don't you wish that were you? Julia, you were crazy to let this dude go, I don't care how happy you are with Danny Moder.

Can I just say how great it was to see Shirley Temple Black, especially since here is a woman who clearly hasn't had any work done?

Poor James Frey! Oprah opened a can of whoop ass on him on Thursday. They were rebroadcasting the episode Friday morning when I got home from work, and I taped it to watch later. How painful is it to have the woman who endorsed your book rip you a new one? I learned one thing, you do not want to piss Oprah off.

Although, as much as I love me some Oprah, her producers ignored the warning signs. I mean people were calling the show as soon as they heard he was going to appear last fall, to raise doubts about his book. Reputable people, not just crazy people who call the hotline. I do give her props for admitting that she should have thought about it more before she defended him.

And as for Nan Talese, she told Oprah that James Frey had never presented the book as fiction, which made him out to be a liar again. I agree with her though, that it's virtually impossible for publishers to vet a book for the truth before they publish it. They take an authors word that if it's a memoir, it's truthful.

I don't believe for a second though that James Frey actually believed that he was the bad ass that he wrote about. It might have been wish fulfillment on his part, or just the knowledge that his book might not get published unless he sensationalized it. I guess he just didn't realize he'd gone so far, that it raised red flags.

But I feel sorriest for the writers who may not get published because their memoirs aren't sensational enough or because the publishing industry is going to be wary right now.

No comments: