Friday, January 13, 2006

The Procrastinating Writer




Well, it's that time of the month again. No, not that time of the month! Get your mind out of the gutter. No, the time of the month where I have to write my President's letter for our chapter newsletter.

In the year since I've been President, I've written 13 letters, and guess what? It doesn't get easier. Every month, I have to decide what I can write that inspire, anger, provoke thought, amusement in our membership. And every month, the same things happen. I start thinking I know what I want to write about, I sit down to write, and something completely different ends up on the screen.

I agonize over this letter, almost more than I do my own writing. Who would have thought that 750 words could have so much power? But they do. Well, this month I thought I would write about a historical fiction writer who unfortunately is little known today, but instead of writing, I've been doing everything else.

Surfing the internet reading news stories about the Brangelina baby. I'm ashamed to admit that I actually bought a copy of People magazine to read the cover story. Wow, she really is pregnant. I think I didn't really believe it until I saw the evidence with my own eyes. Angelina must be about 4 months, at least from the pictures. She's wearing a tight spaghetti top and she's got quite the belly going on there. I'm really feeling for Jennifer Aniston right now. It's one thing to know your ex has a new girlfriend, it's another that he's knocked her up and adopted her two kids as well in the year since you split up.

Or thinking about this TV show I had to watch at work last night on MTV called Next. The concept behind this dating show is that instead of having to sit through a boring date, you can just say Next! and another hottie gets off the bus for you to date. Each show consists of two bachelor/bachelorettes and their five potential victims, I mean dates. Last night's show was gay night. Bryan had 5 bachelors to choose from. One he dumped because he couldn't dance, the other guy he dumped because he'd never voted, leading to the best quote of the night when dumpee Anthony declared he would vote if someone hot like George Clooney ran, and the third he dumped on sight before finally settling on John, the cutie from a conservative Christian family who wants to be a fashion designer.

The other twist is that the dates get paid for however many minutes they spend on the date, so if you're on the date for an hour, you could potentially get paid $60 for being dumped. Also, if the date is going well, the date has the choice of taking the money or accepting a second date. John accepted a second date.

Next up was Ashley and her posse of chicks. This just goes to show you how different men and women are. Why the boys on the bus were being all bitchy while waiting for their dates, the girls discussed the pros and cons of vibrators and then made out with each other.

Well, I'd better get back to my President's letter, now that I have Sean to inspire me.

1 comment:

MJFredrick said...

I'm with you on empathizing with Jennifer Aniston. Poor thing!