Wednesday, January 04, 2006

A Kinder, Gentler Lady Novelist

Hi! We interrupt our regularly scheduled blog, Whinging Wednesday, because it's only day 4 in 2006 and I feel that I shouldn't be complaining yet. I mean, the more good karma I put out there in the universe, the more it's supposed to come back to me right? Or at least that's what Madonna says, and you know that I do everything that she suggests. Although Meg Cabot says in her blog today, ' that the more you complain, the more God lets you live." So at the rate I'm going (according to the Meg Cabot principle), I should live to be 150.

Speaking of Meg Cabot, I just finished reading the first novel in her new mystery series, Size 12 is not fat, which is also the first book I've read in 2006. Her heroine, Heather Wells, is a former teen star who has now been forced to take a job as an Assistant Administrator in a Residence Hall (or dorm as they used to call them back in the olden days when I was in college). I really liked this book. It was a fast read, cute, and nobody does pop culture references like Meg Cabot. Plus her lyrics for the songs that were on Heather Wells albums are hysterical. They are just so bad. Although I have to say they beat anything the Backstreet Boys ever sang.

I mean what kind of song is 'Show me the meaning of being lonely?" I'm sorry you have to have someone show you that? And the meaning of being lonely? There is no meaning, it's just depressing and sad to be lonely, kind of like that song.

The only quibble I had with the book is her reference to Phil Collins as the singer of 'Circle of Life' when we all know it was Mr. Elton John the composer of said song. Remember the cartoon video?

I mean what is there to complain about when I have good books to read, my YA is going swimmingly and Tom Jones is going to be in town next month at the new Nokia theater which replaced the Loews Astor Plaza where I first saw Star Wars and was one of the only few remaining single movie theaters in the city. I mean what's to complain about there?

Of course, if I were to start complaining already in 2006, I could complain about how cheap my bosses are at work considering how much money they make. I think I mentioned that I thought I had been Scrooged for Xmas? Well, I was. I'm sorry but a bottle of wine, and an Amazon gift certificate just doesn't cut it.

Or I could complain about what a putz David Cassidy is. Apparently Mr. Cassidy who should know better being the son of Broadway stars, and having appeared on Broadway, was casting a show at the Supper Club here in New York, which is notably hostile to hiring Equity performers. Well, Mr. Cassidy inadvertently hired a few for his review at the club. When the club found out, they forced him to cancel the show, and he fled back to wherever he lives, leaving the actors broke and unemployed. Shame on you, David Cassidy. I used to love you on the Partridge Family even though you said in your autobiography that Susan Dey wasn't slutty enough for you to sleep with.

Oooh, you should totally check out this show on Bravo if they repeat it. I forget the name but it's where stars like Cheryl Hines and Jay Mohr read from Celebrity autobiographies. It was hilarious!

So, no complaining for me this year. Yet.

Namaste,
Elizabeth

No comments: