Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Mid-Week Blues

I don't know about y'all but I've been suffering from the mid-week blues that started ironically enough on Monday when I got home and found a package containing the partial I'd sent an agent way back in July with a rejection letter saying the usual 'writing not fresh, story not interesting enough' yada yada yada. So my decision to put Nearly Famous on the back burner for awhile is totally justified.

So of course, I was plenty depressed. I mean I could wallpaper my bedroom with rejection letters now. Then I was reading a book by an author friend of mine, and I just marveled at her sparkling dialogue. Which made me think that I suck big time.

Watching The Bachelor which is usually a guilty pleasure of mine, was painful Monday night. You can read Vanessa Virtue's take on it here.

Then yesterday at work, one of the guys who works on the floor came by to chat with my guys. Two of them started ragging on him about his haircut, claiming that he would never get any dates. This was the kicker, both these guys are married men who've been out of the dating scene for years. What would they know about what a woman finds attractive?

And hello, I'm sitting right here! Am I an oil painting? I finally spoke up and said 'hey, why don't you ask the attractive single woman sitting here what she thinks?' They looked astonished at that idea. So I told them I thought he looked fine. Considering the dearth of available men in this city, I think Henry will do fine. I mean he has a cute English accent, he's got a very good job, and his own apartment. What's not to like? Frankly I'd date the UPS man right now if he had stock options and owned his own apartment.

So, instead to perk myself up, I have a new pretend boyfriend. Mr. Sean Bean (see photo above). Mr. Bean has been in many movies including Lord of the Rings, Troy (where he was the only reason to watch the movie), National Treasure, Flightplan etc. He normally plays villains as he did in Golden Eye. But if you want to catch him being heroic and manly, you'll have to rent the Sharpe series. Set during the Napoleonic wars, which means tight breeches, guns, and damsels in distress.

Some one should hire him to play the lead in The Prisoner of Zenda pronto.

Yes, I know he's a Brit, not to mention an actor, and thrice divorced with three daughters (can I pick him or what?), but he's got the rugged thing going on, plus he's an Aries and I'm fatally attracted to Aries men. Must be all the Libra in my chart.

Hey, a girl's got to do whatever she can to cheer herself up.

What's your remedy for the blues?

3 comments:

MJFredrick said...

My solution is much like yours, Elizabeth!

Sorry about the R.

Karen Scott said...

You know what most published authors say Elizabeth, DON'T GIVE UP!

BTW, I'd do Sean Bean too, thrice married or not, lol!

Gabrielle said...

Screw that agent, what does s/he know??? ;-) Sorry to hear about the rejection, though--a big Starbucks concoction for YOU, Ms. Mahon.

My winter blues remedy is a big dose of laughter, Last night it was Rescue Me, tonight it's going to be Will & Grace. And probably a bottle of pineapple Malibu. Oh, man, do I need a tropical getaway!