Thursday, October 05, 2006

Close but No Cigar

Well, I received another rejection letter for Crazy Little Thing Called Love. The agent in question thought it was a cute idea, with lots of potential, but he didn't think the 3 narrators were interesting enough to warrant doing it that way. So he felt he had to step aside. So once again it was close but no cigar.

I'm getting a little discouraged. It's hard to hear that they like your writing or the idea, and then to hear a but. It's like what do I have to do to move beyond that 'but'? Yes, keep writing but for how long? I really feel that this idea and the series is the best thing that I've come up with since I've been writing. It's fresh, it's new, it's different, but there seems to be something in the way that I'm executing it that just isn't taking. Or maybe I just haven't found that mythical right agent yet. I'm behing to wonder if this person even exists.

Now, I've just gotten another half-rejection. The agent can't offer me represenation at this time, but she wants to talk to me about the book. What does that mean? Should I take that as a good sign? I don't know. The whole thing is confusing and making me want to reach for a bag of Pepperidge Farms which can't be good for my hips.

Anyone else feel like they're on a wagon going nowhere?

Thanks for reading!

EKM

3 comments:

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

Hi Elizabeth, I know the Rs can get discouraging, the close calls even more so. But if you believe in your book than it's all about finding the right fit. If this agent would like chat about the book that's a good sign. She may give the feedback to make the book even better and offer to see again after a few changes. Once those changes are made, the agent may sign you. I've heard this happen for other authors, YA included. =)

MJFredrick said...

Hugs on the R and good luck with the new agent! Have you tried Michelle Grajkowski? I know she reps YA.

Elizabeth Kerri Mahon said...

I'm going to try and do the revisions that the other agent wants, and hope for the best. She was really nice, and she liked my writing which is a good start. Yes, Michelle is on my list of agents to query.