Friday, October 27, 2006

Happy Anniversary, RWA NYC!

Last night we had our 20th Anniversary party for our chapter, where we honored such icons as Kathyrn Falk, Steven Axelrod, Leslie Wainger, Bertrice Small, and Walter Zacharius. I hope to post pictures as they become available.

We had so much food it wasn't even funny. Probably because we asked the chapter members to bring food to keep the costs down, and they more than came through. I was so proud of our members, and I plan on letting them know in my December President's letter in Keynotes. I refrained from drinking until after the presentation, primarily because I didn't want to end up like very drunk agent, who was supposed to be there last night but wisely refrained from attending although it would have been nice for our members to get a chance to pitch to her.

I tried to circulate to keep people out of introverts corner, even making sure that one of our members pitched her YA manuscript to an agent. Not to be left out, I even managed to talk to a couple of editors along the way.

Next year, I need to practice my remarks beforehand. I forgot to say a few things but I literally had no time this week to prepare, which was my fault but life sometimes gets in the way. However I did get plenty of great compliments on my dress. If I had a pound sterling for every great compliment I got, I'd still have to eat soup in order to pay for the dress!

Afterward, I went out with some members to have a quick drink and bite before heading home. It was nice to get a chance to unwind and really talk for a bit. The cocktail party could get a little frenetic. I felt a little bad not staying for the whole of the clean-up, but I did arrive early for the set up, so I did my presidential duty that way.

Next year, I think we might go back to having it in September. I get the feeling that most of the industry people are a little tired by October after attending so many conferences. Something to discuss with my new board who are taking office in January.

Learned some juicy gossip. Apparently Heath Ledger and Michelle Williams are about to split up, which is why they sold their townhouse in Brooklyn. I dont' know if this is true, I hope not. But that's what happens when you make a movie together, get pregnant right away. You don't really know who you are as people.

Thanks for reading,

EKM

No comments: