Friday, October 13, 2006

Love Letter to Shonda Rimes


You know what today is of course. Yes, I know it's Friday, the 13th, but it's also the day after another episode of the finest show on network TV: Grey's Anatomy.

But now I'm not going to dissect the episode, or talk about my favorite scenes, today I'm going to wax rhapsodic over it's creator, Ms. Shonda Rimes, the brains behind Grey's Anatomy. The puppetmaster as it were.

How do I love Shonda Rimes? Let me count the ways. I love that she's so tightfisted with revealing the storylines, prefering not to have spoilers out there in the press to ruin our enjoyment. Keeping us surprised, so that you can't miss the last ten minutes of the episode, otherwise you're going to miss some juicy, juicy stuff.

I love her for her complicated characters, for making me care for all four members of the Mer/Der/Addy/Finn/McSteamy love quidrangle, or whatever it's called when it involveds 5 of the hottest people on television. I love that there are no easy answers and that people keep on suffering, they don't just get over things in the next episode. Witness the arc of George and Meredith's estrangement, and the entire season long reconciliation between Addison and Derek.

Seriously, I would pay money to sit at the feet of this woman for a month to watch her work with her staff. I'm dying for the Museum of Television and Radio to put out the DVD of the evening they did with the cast. As it is, I plan on hightailing it as soon as I have a chance to watch it on their tiny video monitors.

Everyone talks about Robert McKee's story seminars, but Shonda Rimes is the real deal. We're already what four episodes into the new season, and I'm just as hooked as I was when I went out and watched the entire first season in a weekend. Seriously I love this show so much, I need to get a life.

Meanwhile back in realityland, I received a full manuscript request from an agent for my first YA novel. Yippee me! Now I just have to bundle off that baby before I leave for London. The weather is turned chilly in New York, make it the perfect time to curl up in front of the TV with a good book and DVD, but I think tomorrow night I may toddle off to see Infamous, the other Truman Capote movie.

I studied with the actor who plays Truman Capote one summer, and I'm dying to see him in the role.

Thanks for reading!

EKM

1 comment:

MJFredrick said...

Oh, what a GREAT picture!!!!

It was a wonderful episode, wasn't it???

Good luck with the request!!!