Sunday, October 08, 2006

In Praise of Larger Men

I was just thinking the other day about how few fuller figured women there are in romance. But then I realized that there are almost no heroes in romance who aren't alpha males who look like the poster child for perfection. You never see a hero who might have a little junk in his trunk. But yet guys who don't have a six pack can be surprisingly sexy.

Take John Goodman for example. Here is with Luke Wilson, who let's face it is pretty handsome. Yet, Mr. Goodman doesn't look that bad either. Mr. Goodman look solid and comfortable. The type of guy you could imagine cuddling up with on a long winter's night in your warm jammies, just before you slip them off to have sex.

I've always thought John Goodman was sexy, way back when he was starring on Roseanne. I just thought he was adorable with his dimples, and curly hair. In fact, fun guy looks a little like John Goodman. I certainly wouldn't kick John Goodman out of bed for eating crackers.


And then there's Robbie Coltrane, probably known to most people as Hagrid in the Harry Potter movies. But before Harry, he was Cracker and he starred in Nuns on the Run, with Eric Idle. One of my favorite movies. If you haven't seen either Cracker or Nuns on the Run, I suggest that you get them from Netflix. He's awesome in both. In Cracker, if I remember correctly he plays either a detective or a pyschologist. But he's also a crap husband and an alcoholic. But still he's dead sexy. I don't know if it's the Scottish accent or what, but I used to find myself fantasizing about Mr. Coltrane when I watched Cracker on A&E.

Forest Whitaker is another actor who has a little junk in his trunk. The gentle giant, a guy who seems incredibly sweet but is also a powerhouse actor.

So these are just a few of the men I find sexy who aren't buff, tan and toned.

Who do you find sexy who might not fit Hollywood's image of what a sexy man is and what do you think of a hero who might be a little on the chunky side?

Thanks for reading.

EKM

2 comments:

Amerynthe said...

Aha! I don't know how I found your blog, but I'm glad I did!

I agree about the 'generously proportioned' hero and would be more than happy to climb all over Robbie Coltrane in search of passion. I'm sure I'd find it, too!

Don't let the recent rejection get you down - easy to say, hard to do, I know (I'm a veteran of dozens and dozens of the, 'We liked the style/idea/main character/environment BUT ...' kind). Keep them all, and when you finally sign that well-deserved 3-book deal you can set light to them and watch the flames as you sip your celebratory glass of champagne.

Cheers!

Elizabeth Kerri Mahon said...

Yes, he is quite lovely isn't he?