Sunday, October 15, 2006

London Calling

Since I'm leaving tomorrow night for London, this will probably be one of my last posts until I get back (unless I can wrest my friend's computer out of his hands in order to post).

Yesterday was our monthly chapter meeting where I welcomed the new board, which includes myself as President. I patted myself on the back and congratulated myself on being re-elected. Actually I ran unopposed, so the board voted on the slate. We had one of our members, Cathy Greenfeder speak, since the speaker I had scheduled didn't return any of the fifteen emails I sent her to confirm. Ouch!

Then I went to the fourth birthday party of my friend's little boy, where I drank a little too much white wine, and then my jacket disappeared. I had to borrow my friend's jacket. I think I overindulged in the wine because I thought that Fun Guy was going to be there. I'm not sure how I'm going to feel when I eventually see him again. He's supposed to be at another birthday party I'm going to at the end of the month. I'm just hoping that he comes alone and that he doesn't bring a woman with him. I'm not sure I'm ready for that.

After I left, I basically came home and passed out, but not before I read another few pages in Toby Young's second book, a sequel of sorts to How to Lose Friends and Alienate People. I read the first book while on vacation in Dublin four years ago. I was so incensed by his description of New York women, that I emailed him to say that if he'd spent less time trying to get a leg over on the models and socialites who populate Page Six, and trying to date 'regular' women, he might have met someone nice.

The premise of his first book, was that he came to New York hoping to become a famous magazine journalist. He got a job working for Vanity Fair, and then proceeded to spend the next five years acting like a jerk.

Now in the sequel, he's married and even more of a prat than he was in the first book. There isn't enough time to detail all the ways he acted like a jerk, but it included giving the worst best man speeches at his friends' weddings in history. Not to mention trying to teach his ten day old daughter how to crawl.

Still have to edit my chapter to post on the bulletin board for my class.

Thanks for reading,

EKM

No comments: