Thursday, October 12, 2006

In Memoriam

Yesterday, an unfortunate accident occurred in New York, when a private plane unexpectedly crashed into a high-rise on the Upper East Side. Two people were killed, pitcher Cory Lidle of the New York Yankees, and his flight instructor. No others were killed, although I'm sure that there were injuries from the damage to the building, not to mention the trauma of seeing that plane hit the building. It was eerily reminiscent of 9/11.

I have to admit that when I heard the news, the first person I thought of was Fun Guy. He lives on the Upper East Side, and I was seriously tempted to call him and find out if he was alright. Thankfully, I resisted temptation, although it was really hard. The building that was hit was a few blocks away from where he lives, and I'm pretty sure he would have seen through the ruse. Although I really was worried that he might have been involved.

My heart goes out to the families of Cory Lidle and the flight instructor. There was an article in the New York Times today talking about how most private planes don't fly on the East Side precisely because it's a little too traffic heavy with helicopters and other craft using that same airspace. Plus, it's not under the jurisdiction of LaGuardia airport air traffic controllers, meaning that it's up to each individual pilot to watch out for other aircraft.

It's such a sad accident. One of those incidents where you realize just how quickly life can change in a heartbeat.

Thanks for reading!

EKM

No comments: