Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Happy Halloween!

Can you believe it's Halloween already? And I haven't even eaten any candy corn, what's up with that? Candy corn used to be my favorite Halloween candy even though you can feel the cavities form while you're eating it.

Saw this cute blog quiz:


Your Halloween Costume Should Be

A Sexy Bunny

Funnily enough, I've alway kind of hankered after being a bunny on Halloween but after trying on the costume, I decided the world didn't need to see that much of my thighs. Maybe in my twenties, I might have gotten away with it.
Halloween has always been one of my favorite holidays, even though as a kid I wasn't allowed to go trick-or-treating in my neighborhood because at the time it was too dangerous, so I pretty much had to stick to my building. And even then, my mother diligently doled out the candy I got and made sure that I didn't eat any of the apples.
Did you know that Houdini died on Halloween? I was actually thinking of going to see The Prestige tonight in honor of him. I just read on the web yesterday, that a new book was coming out today claiming that Houdini was a secret agent, and may have been murdered due to his efforts to debunk the spiritualist movement. Just before he died, he'd made it a practice to expose all the fake mediums that were operating in the twenties. He even fell out with Sir Arthur Conan Doyle over it. Houdini challenged any medium to see if they could put him in contact with his late mother (he was a mama's boy).
Can you imagine what he would make of the John Edward's and psychic hotlines that proliferate nowadays? That I would pay to see, Houdini vs. John Edwards.
Anyway, I was just thinking last night about the fact that there don't seem to be any women magicians. I wonder why that is? Is there like some kind of prejudice against women in the profession that keeps them as just assistants, or are women just not interested?
Gee, I'd better stop before I start plotting something!
Happy Halloween!
EKM

3 comments:

Julie Cohen said...

I don't know if you picked up any of my books while you were in the UK (I think going to see Trisha was probably a better way to spend your time--very cool) but I've got quite a bit about Houdini in Spirit Willing, Flesh Weak. He used to wear a fake beard so people wouldn't recognise him.

I think that's a really good question about female magicians!

Elizabeth Kerri Mahon said...

Yes, Julie I did pick up your books. I found two Modern Extra in Waterstones, and one in the Mystery/Romance store on Charing Cross. I just finished Married in a Rush, and Spirit Willing, Flesh Weak is on my TBR pile. I really liked Married in a Rush.

Julie Cohen said...

Hooray! And happy birthday!